ASDA is the cheapest supermarket for own-brand bathroom essentials – with a basket of toiletries costing £1 less than rivals Aldi and Lidl.
The Sun analysed the cost of ten everyday bathroom items including toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet roll, handwash, shampoo, shower gel, nappies, cotton buds and baby wipes.
We included products similar in size and quality to enable a fair comparison, and where necessary included two of a particular product when only a smaller version was available.
We then compared the basket price of items at Aldi, Asda, Boots, Lidl, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco
Asda came in cheapest at £12.26, with its Just Essentials range helping to bring the cost 8% lower than the next cheapest retailer, Lidl (£13.30).
Aldi was third (£13.37) and Tesco, fourth (£14.33), followed by Sainsbury's (£14.49), then Morrisons (£17.25).
Read more on shopping
I’m a savvy shopper & you need to do your food shop at B&M -there’s so much
I’m a savvy shopper – my shameless hack means you could save on your fruit
Boots was by far the most expensive – with its own-brand goods coming in at £21.89 – almost £10 dearer than Asda’s.
But the research highlighted the importance of comparing value as well as price, as Asda's own brand range only had the best value in four of ten categories.
That’s because in some cases rival supermarkets sell slightly bigger packs for around the same price.
For example, Asda sells 54-packs of its Little Angel nappies for £5, whereas Aldi and Lidl sell 60-packs for the same cost, making them better value overall.
Most read in Money
Energy bills to fall by up to £426this summer as new price cap confirmed
High street giant to shut 10 supermarkets and clothing stores this year
Aldi shoppers rush to buy garden must-have that’s scanning at 40% off at tills
I'm a retail expert – three things to always buy at TK Maxx and the two to avoid
Asda’s Little Angel cotton buds are sold in packets of 200 for 50p, while Lidl does 300 for 59p.
Experts say it’s important to check value as well as the immediate price tag on the shelf.
Scott Nelson, founder at MoneyNerd, said: "While we all tend to lean towards the cheapest grocery items and supermarkets for our weekly shops, there is often more value in looking at how much you get from each item than how much they cost to buy.
"Make sure to look at the unit price of the items you are buying, as this will allow you to truly compare how far your money is going.
"Ultimately, buying the item that will last longer makes more sense, even if it’s initially more expensive than a cheaper alternative.
"Otherwise, you might just have to buy two of the cheaper alternatives to make up for it."
Here we look at where's cheapest for each item – and importantly, which is the best value.
- CHEAPEST: Aldi, Sainsbury's and Lidl all sell 60-packs of size six nappies for £4.99.
- DEAREST: Boots, £4.20 for a pack of 23, cost less than other supermarkets sell for 60-packs.
- BEST VALUE: Aldi, Sainsbury's and Lidl also have best value, at a cost of 8p each.
- WORST VALUE: Boots, with nappies costing 18p each
- CHEAPEST: Sainsbury's, Asda, Tesco, Aldi and Lidl all sell 60-packs for 65p, bringing the cost per sheet to around 1p each.
- DEAREST: Morrisons, with 64-packs costing 85p.
- BEST VALUE: Sainsbury's, Asda, Tesco, Aldi and Lidl, with each sheet costing a penny.
- WORST VALUE: Morrisons, although the cost of a sheet is only slightly more expensive, at 1.4p each.
- CHEAPEST: Aldi, 43p for 200
- DEAREST: Boots, 89p for 200, although they are organic.
- BEST VALUE: Lidl, 20p for 100
- WORST VALUE: Sainsbury's, 50p for 100
- CHEAPEST: Lidl, 59p for 400ml
- DEAREST: Morrisons, £1.80 for 500ml, although the shampoo is also a conditioner
- BEST VALUE: Lidl, Asda, Aldi and Boots, 15p per 100ml
- WORST VALUE: Morrisons, 36p per 100ml
- CHEAPEST: Tesco Essentials, 60p for two 250ml bottles
- DEAREST: Boots, £1.70 for two 250ml bottles
- BEST VALUE: Tesco and Asda, 12p per 100ml
- WORST VALUE: Boots, 34p per 100ml
- CHEAPEST: Asda, £1.99 for six rolls
- DEAREST: Boots, £2 for four rolls
- BEST VALUE: Tesco, 11p for 100 sheets
- WORST VALUE: Boots, 26p per 100 sheets
- CHEAPEST: Sainsbury's and Tesco, 50p for 100ml
- DEAREST: Boots, £1 for 100ml
- BEST VALUE: Sainsbury's, Tesco, Aldi and Lidl, 50p for 100ml
- WORST VALUE: Asda, Morrisons and Boots, £1 for 100ml
- CHEAPEST: Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons all do twin-packs of toothbrushes for 25p
- DEAREST: Boots, do two-packs for £1.50
- BEST VALUE: Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons, 13p a toothbrush
- WORST VALUE: Boots, 75p for a toothbrush
Read More on The Sun
Little-known TV licence rule could save you up to £159 a year
Woman left unable to talk properly after her new dentures arrive totally uneven
- CHEAPEST: Sainsbury's, 60p for 500ml
- DEAREST: Boots, 85p for 250ml
- BEST VALUE: Sainsbury's, 12p for 500ml
- WORST VALUE: Morrisons, £1 for 50ml, but we've used their hand gel to compare, as they don't sell handwash.
- CHEAPEST: Tesco, Aldi and Lidl, 95p for 500ml
- DEAREST: Sainsbury's, £1.25 for 500ml
- BEST VALUE: Tesco, Aldi and Lidl, 19p per 100ml
- WORST VALUE: Sainsbury's, 25p per 100ml
Source: Read Full Article