A MAN has left TikTok users in shock revealing he deliberately ate tapeworms because he thought it would make a 'good video'.
Nicolas Kratka was out fishing when he caught a sea bass, and after cutting into the fish, noticed it was riddled with the parasite.
However, this didn't put the 23-year-old off – but instead made him curious to see what would happen if he ate the catch, worms and all.
And so he did.
Soon after, Nicolas noticed unpleasant side effects and rushed to the doctor, later sharing his experience on TikTok, where the clip has gathered nine million views.
“I have no regrets,” the content creator from Los Angeles, US, told http://NeedToKnow.co.uk
Read more on parasites
Doctors horrified as body scan reveals patient's body is RIDDLED with tapeworm
Woman had back pain for years shocked to find deadly parasite on spine
“I thought I’d move on with my life as normal.
“What really happened is my stomach started to kill me.
“When I went to the doctor he said there is a high likelihood of the worms spreading to my eyes and brain, which would kill me if I didn’t act fast.”
Nicolas says he was given medication to treat tapeworms and sent on his way.
Most read in Health
From rectal prolapse to tearing – the dangers of using your phone on the loo
I haven’t had sex for a year as my organs have fused like a sticky cobweb
GAS AND HAIR
New NHS advice to expectant mums giving birth sparks furious backlash
I put odd changes down to hormones after having triplets – it was cancer
The experience hasn’t deterred him from trying other unusual, and potentially dangerous, meals in the future.
He said: “Within a week of taking the anti-parasitic medication I didn’t feel anything wrong with my stomach.
“I will continue extreme eating as long as I’m alive.”
In the video shared to social media, Nicolas reveals a picture of the tapeworms in the fish, before speaking to the camera.
“Update on the tapeworm I ate the other day” he says.
“I went to the doctor and he said it is more than likely that I have tapeworm or some type of parasite inside me.
“I’m going to the bathroom non-stop, my stomach is killing me.”
Nicolas then goes on to explain the medications he has been given, how the tapeworms live inside him and that he hopes to get better soon.
The doctor wasn't sure what kind of worm had been in the fish so he gave Nicolas a variety of anti-parasitic medications, the TikToker says.
"Some of the worms cause seizures, muscle damage and you can loose your eyesight because the worms get in there," Nicolas chillingly adds.
He goes on: “I’m an idiot, I’m not going to lie.
“This was totally my fault.”
He warned others to not make the same mistake: "If there is any lesson you learn from this, it's do not eat worms inside of a bass. Especially Florida lakes and ponds, because it's such a warm environment."
The post has over 585,000 likes, as well as 2,800 comments from stunned followers.
And it doesn't seem like any viewers would be making Nicolas's mistake anytime soon.
Tilly said: “Why WOULD YOU EAT TAPE WORMS.”
Someone else commented: “*Eats tapeworms* also shocked that he has tapeworms.”
Paula added: “Literally common sense bro.”
“Like duh???” said someone else.
“You’re so calm about it,” added Geezy.
But horrifyingly enough, this isn't the first time someone has ingested a tapeworm willingly.
A particularly gross vestige of the Victorian times that still haunts us is something called the tapeworm diet.
It involves swallowing a pill that has a tapeworm egg inside, which eventually hatches – the tapeworm grows in your body and eats whatever you're eating.
But doctors warn that the diet is actually no different than getting a tapeworm infection and can be incredibly dangerous.
According to Healthline, tapeworms can attach themselves to various organs in your digestive tract and cause lots of serious damage.
You can experience symptoms like:
- tummy pain
You might also fall victim to bacterial infections, neurological issues and you could even be at risk of dying.
How do we catch worms?
According to the NHS, worms are mainly spread in small bits of poo from people with a worm infection but it's also possible to catch them from food.
You can get infected by:
- touching objects or surfaces with worm eggs on them – these can get contaminated if someone with worms does not wash their hands
- touching soil or swallowing water or food with worm eggs in it – mainly a risk in parts of the world without modern toilets or sewage systems
- walking barefoot on soil containing worms – only a risk in parts of the world without modern toilets or sewage systems
- eating raw or under cooked beef, pork or freshwater fish like salmon or trout containing baby worms – this is more common in parts of the world with poor food hygiene standards
You can catch some worms from pets, but this is rare, the NHS added.
You'll be able to tell you have one if you have:
- small, white worms in your poo that look like pieces of thread
- extreme itching around your bottom, particularly at night
This is probably from a threadworm.
Most worm infections are thankfully treatable with antibiotics, the NHS said.
If you experience these symptoms, speak to a pharmacist.
But see a GP if:
Read More on The Sun
Towie’s Chloe Brockett opens up about feud after her mum unfollows co-star
I’m a Sky expert and TV users are still missing a little-known remote trick
- find a large worm or large piece of worm in your poo
- have a red, itchy worm-shaped rash on your skin
- have sickness, diarrhoea or a stomach ache for longer than two weeks
- are losing weight for no reason
These symptoms might be down to something like a roundworm, hookworm or tapeworm, which can be picked up while travelling.
Source: Read Full Article