The 64th Annual Grammy Awards will be held on April 3. The award show was originally supposed to take place in January, but was delayed due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Because of this, anticipation for the award show is high as music fans are left speculating about which artists, songs, and albums will be honored. Here are Showbiz Cheat Sheet’s predictions for the Song of the Year category at the 2022 Grammy Awards.
Song of the Year nominees at the 2022 Grammy Awards
Song of the Year is one of the four General Field categories at the Grammy Awards along with Record of the Year, Album of the Year, and Best New Artist. As an award, Song of the Year honors the songwriters of a nominated work.
2022 Song of the Year nominees:
- “Bad Habits,” Fred Gibson, Johnny McDaid, Ed Sheeran (songwriters), Ed Sheeran (performer)
- “A Beautiful Noise,” Ruby Amanfu, Brandi Carlile, Brandy Clark, Alicia Keys, Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna, Linda Perry, and Hailey Whitters (songwriters), Alicia Keys and Brandi Carlile (performers)
- “drivers license,” Daniel Nigro and Olivia Rodrigo (songwriters), Olivia Rodrigo (performer)
- “Fight For You,” Dernst Emile II, H.E.R., and Tiara Thomas (songwriters), H.E.R. (performer)
- “Happier Than Ever,” Billie Eilish O’Connell and Finneas O’Connell (songwriters), Billie Eilish (performer)
- “Kiss Me More,” Rogét Chahayed, Amala Zandile Dlamini, Lukasz Gottwald, Carter Lang, Gerard A. Powell II, Solána Rowe, and David Sprecher (songwriters), Doja Cat featuring SZA (performers)
- “Leave The Door Open,” Brandon Anderson, Christopher Brody Brown, Dernst Emile II, Bruno Mars (songwriters), Silk Sonic (performers)
- “Montero (Call Me By Your Name),” Denzel Baptiste, David Biral, Omer Fedi, Montero Hill, Roy Lenzo (songwriters), Lil Nas X (perfomer)
- “Peaches,” Louis Bell, Justin Bieber, Giveon Dezmann Evans, Bernard Harvey, Felisha “Fury” King, Matthew Sean Leon, Luis Manual Martinez Jr., Aaron Simmonds, Ashton Simmonds, Andrew Wotman, and Keavan Yazdani (songwriters), Justin Bieber Featuring Daniel Caesar and Giveon (performers)
- “Right On Time,” Brandi Carlile, Dave Cobb, Phil Hanseroth, and Tim Hanseroth (songwriters), Brandi Carlile (perfomer)
Olivia Rodrigo’s song ‘drivers license’ is a favorite
Rodrigo’s song “drivers license” became a breakout hit for the young singer, ushering in her album Sour. Because of the success around Sour and “drivers license,” it is very likely that Rodrigo could sweep Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Album of the Year, and Best New Artist.
Rodrigo released “drivers license” as her debut single in January 2021. As a co-writer on the song with Nigro, Rodrigo looks back on a past relationship while she drives by herself after getting her driver’s license.
The song broke streaming records, spent multiple weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and received acclaim from critics, making it the heavy favorite for Song of the Year.
At the 2022 Grammy Awards, “drivers license” is also nominated for Record of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance. Meanwhile, Rodrigo has a total of seven nominations at the award show.
A Song of the Year nominee could pull an upset
While it seems likely Rodrigo and Nigro will take home the award for Song of the Year, there is always the chance that another nominee could pull an upset.
If any song were to do it, we think Silk Sonic‘s “Leave the Door Open” could be the most likely to win instead of “drivers license.”
At the 2022 Grammy Awards, “Leave the Door Open” is also nominated for Record of the Year, Best R&B Performance, and Best R&B Song.
Source: Read Full Article